• Inquiries
  • Access
  • FAQ
  • Sitemap
  • Blogger

> Dormitories



KICL has dormitories available in order to ensure that all of our students can live in safely from their first day in Japan. All of the rooms at each dormitory have a desk and an air conditioner. In addition, Internet connections are available in each room. If you would like to stay in a dormitory, please inform us of your wishes when you submit your application. The dormitory contract is for 1 semester. Support service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, in case you lose your room key, have electricity or gas trouble, or any other problems. After you leave the dormitory, KICL will introduce an apartment through a real-estate company affiliated with us. There are staff who can speak English, so you can set up a contract easily there.


Matsuya Residence Shugakuin
There is a lot of storage space, so there is ample living room. There are supermarkets and convenience stores in the area, as well as a bank, so it is very convenient.

Matsuya Residence Shugakuin

Pine Field Kitashirakawa
There is a row of cherry trees right in front of the dormitory building, so you can enjoy a terrific view in spring. The school is close by, so getting to school is very convenient.

Pine Field Kitashirakawa

Shugakuin Global House
An international dormitory reserved for foreign students of KICL and Japanese students of Kyoto Institute of Design. Students with varying cultures and backgrounds can gain a deeper cross-cultural understanding by living together.There are supermarkets, convenience stores, and banks conveniently located nearby.

Shugakuin Global House

Procedures for entering a dormitory

  1. Please indicate whether or not you want to reside in a dormitory when you submit your application to the school.
  2. You will be notified of the decision on which dormitory you will live in when your Certificate of Eligibility is issued. Please pay tuition and dormitory fees by the specified date (after the decision is finalized, you cannot cancel your residence at the dormitory).
  3. When you arrive in Japan, senior students will explain the dormitory rules.


・Please understand that in some cases, you may not be able to reside in your first-choice dormitory.
・After the decision on your assigned dormitory is finalized, you cannot cancel your residence at the dormitory.
・Students entering a dormitory should come to school on the date and at the time specified,

If you contract for a residence on your own

  • When looking for a room, you should go to a real estate agent. There are agencies that are able to deal with you in English, Chinese and Korean. In general, when you enter a contract for a room, you will need a guarantor. Under standard conditions, the school can be your guarantor (residence guarantor system for students studying abroad).

  • First, when looking for a room, please consult KICL. We will explain the points requiring caution when looking for a room and introduce a real estate agent which we can be a gurantor for. When you go to a real estate agent, be careful to accurately convey your intentions and the conditions under which you are searching for a room, including nearby train stations, the amount of the rent you can afford, the size of apartment you want, and other requirements you might have. After a preliminary inspection of a room, you can simply refuse that choice if you do not like it. There are no costs involved while looking for a room.

  • If you find a room you like, you can enter a contract for residence. Signing such a contract means that you fully understand and agree with the content of the contract. Therefore, please make sure that you suficiently understand content before you sign.
Funds required to complete a contract
Deposit The deposit is about 1-3 months' rent. Part of this amount may be refunded to you when the contract is over.
Key money This amount is paid to the landlord as a token of your gratitude. The key money is not refundable.
Agency fee When the contract is signed, this fee is paid to the real estate agent that introduced the room to you. In general, this will be about the same amount as one month's rent.

●Residence Guarantor System for Students Studying in Japan

In general, when you rent a room in Japan you will need a guarantor. If finding a guarantor is difficult, the school has a system in which the school acts as your guarantor. The conditions that must be met and the procedures to be followed are as shown below. In this case, you must take part in the Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan (Guarantors' Protection Plan). The insurance fees required are 4,000 yen for 1 year, and 8,000 yen for 2 years.


  1. An applicant must be a student at the Kyoto Institute of Culture and Language with a ""College Student"" visa. If you apply before actually entering the school, it is possible to complete the application procedure after you have paid the school entrance fees
  2. You can have insurance coverage only for the durataion of your enrollment at KICL. (If you intend to stay at KICL for one year, indicate a contract time period of ""1 year"". The insurance coverage will be terminated upon your graduation from KICL or if, for any reason, you should drop out of KICL in the middle of a school term). The school cannot be your guarantor if you enter a contract that is automatically renewed.
  3. During the guarantor time period, if you sign up for the Comprehensive Renter's Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan (Guarantors' Protection Plan) the insurance fees required are 4,000 yen for 1 year, and 8,000 yen for 2 years.
  4. The school cannot be your guarantor if you take in a lodger or have a roommate (being your guarantor is only possible for one person per apartment).

These procedures usually take from one to two weeks. When making preparations, please allow enough time to complete each procedure.

●Useful references when looking for a room

  • Kyoto International Community House
    There is an explanation here on the related terminology and the contract system in Japan.
  • Flat Agency
    This is a real estate agent located in Kyoto which can do business both in Chinese and English.
  • Leopalace 21
    This is an apartment house that does not require any deposit, key money or guarantor. The company has branch offices in China, Korea and Taiwan.
contact us